You are here
Shin and Knee Pain
What causes Shin an Knee Pain?
Shin and knee pain is often the result of poor foot mechanincs - particularly in the sporting population. Shin or knee pain is often exacerbated by exercise and very common in teenagers, however can affect individuals of any age.
There are various factors that can influence the devepment of shin or knee pain, often including a combination of the following:
- poor shock attenuation, through footwear, surfaces or gait patterns
- poor foot alignment, causing torsional stress on the leg and knee
- poor footwear, lack of support, cushioning or stability
- training errors - eg. rapid increase in activity, not allowing the body time to compensate
- rapid growth - children and teenagers
- muscle tightness, weakness or imbalance
Treatment Plan for Shin and Knee Pain
Leah can assess the factors contributing to your pain and tailor a treatment plan to ensure your return to full activity without pain holding you back. Treatment often includes footwear prescription, orthotics, stretching and strengthening programs, and massage or dry needling.
Leah can also refer to other health practitioners where required to ensure a full recovery.